Re: Nitrous not bad....users bad

From: Kabuki2 (Kabuki2@AOL.COM)
Date: Tue May 26 1998 - 10:46:53 EDT

<< It's not nitrous that's bad
 really. It's the user. If you take the precautions necessary to ensure
 there's always an adequate fuel supply, and you take care not to pump more
 juice thru the motor than it's current build state will handle, you won't
 have any more problems with nitrous than you would a blower or a high power
 naturally aspirated motor. It's usually laziness, poor judgement, or
 ignorance that causes the huge problems. Not to say that it's a 100%
 guarantee that nothin' is gonna happen but there's no guarantee that
 beatin' the motor on the dragstrip isn't gonna do sumthin' either. I'd say
 the fun/risk ratio is still excellent! >>

I have ran my share of nitrous through stock motors before.. here's my
experience with it.

My Firebird started off as a junkyard car. I bought the car in may of 96 for
$2000, this was a car that had 84,000 miles, flawless interior, 4 wheel disc
brakes, WS6 suspension package, performance axle w/3.42 gear, power
everything, and of course, the A/C worked! The only thing the car needed was a
oil change (the oil was gritty!!) and a paint job (that has now been painted).

Two days after I purchased the car, the exhaust had a leak in it so I had a
local muffler shop de-cat the car and add a flowmaster muffler, that same day
I purchased a K&N replacement filter and drilled holes in the airbox.

Baseline the car went 15.30s @ 88 mph.. not bad for stock but I wanted more..

A week later I purchased a wet kit from NOS, and installed it with 100horse
jets.. stock timing, stock plugs, stock wires, I didnt wanna mess around with
this and that, I wanted to race!!!! I took the car to the track and ran 13.40s
all day long, but I wanted more..

(you will notice a pattern here)

I installed the 150horse jets..I changed the plugs a heat range colder , put
good wires on it, but kept the stock initial timing. I could never get a good
run out of the car, the track didnt bite, the bottle didnt have enough
pressure.. ect.. the best I could get was a 13.04.

But on Valintines day, the car was on its 34th bottle, and with 107,000 miles
I rolled up to the staging lines, did a nice healthy burnout on my bald BFG
Radial T/A 265/50/15s and staged. The car hooked and wheelhopped violently but
at the end of the track I got my slip ... Here is what it read:

R/T .966
60' 1.848
330' 5.359
1/8 8.129
MPH 85.88
1000' 10.758
1/4 12.866
MPH 107.19

The car blew on the 36th bottle when the fuel pump quit on me. It was my
fualt, I'm confident that if that didn't happen the motor would have been
still running strong today taking 1-2 bottles a week .... :)

ttyl
patrick