Nitrous on 3.9lts '88 Dakota

From: Bill Sullivan (pulse@op.net)
Date: Wed May 27 1998 - 16:20:57 EDT

Hey,

    I saw people mentioning nitrous kits for Dakota's. Awhile back I
purchased a kit for my 88 Dakota. I have the 3.9 V6 4X4 Sport. It's
Throttle Body. The engine had over 100k miles on it so I was hesitant
to have the kit installed.

    Recently though, I just got a new engine installed in it (same size,
but with a towing package from Jasper). So, I was thinking about having
that kit installed now. The 88 Dakota's don't have a test port from the
throttle body, so the Nitrous lines have to be spliced into the fuel
lines. It has two levels, one for 50HP I think, and another for 90HP.
I don't think that would do much damage, but if anyone has any
information on it could they please give some advice? I was also going
to get a new chip burned for my dakota also. I have Edelbrock headers
on it, but that's about it right now for mods. It's a "Super Chip" and
they have an application for the Dakota's. The chip is burned for your
truck with any type of modifications that've been done or added to it
after the stock computer. My mechanic said it'd be much more safe with
this new chip, and I should consider getting the chip if I'm
installingthe Nitrous kit. So, I still don't know if I should do it,
and I don't know if I have the money to have the chip burned right now.
But I atleast want one or the other. But the chip has to be burned for
the nitrous at the time I get it I think, so I don't know what to do.
Plus considering the truck is pretty stock, I was worried what kind of
impact the nitrous would have on the new engine, etc.. I mean a 90HP
max output for the nitrous isn't all that big of a deal, and I'm sure it
would be ok if I handled it correctly. But the only problem is, I'm new
to nitrous, especially on a truck. So, does anyone know when's the
right time to hit the nitrous after it IS installed? At what
speed/RPM/gear, and what to expect when it's activated? It only has a
3Speed Auto, so with that tranny, It really won't go over 100. So, can
anyone help at all? Please let me know.

-Bill