Re: headers & crossover pipe

From: Sean_Meldrum@ittauto.com
Date: Wed May 27 1998 - 15:24:10 EDT

>Does anyone know the advantages of the different header designs (ie.
>tri-y, shorties, etc.)? I am looking for something to improve low-end
>torque (see previous post).

     Normally I would automatically say go with the Tri-Y's. And in this
case that may still hold true. But..I read that one page dyno test in the
July Sport Truck comparing long tubes and shorties and was pretty surprised
at the results. Shorties did pretty damn good. They conveniently left out
what the down pipe setup was tho.....

>Does anyone make a set of headers for '98
>Daks that come with new crossover pipes? This seems to be a big
>restriction in the stock system. Thanks.

     The Edelbrocks *might*. They used to say (in the catalog) that no
crossover pipe was included but the latest '98 catalog doesn't say this
anymore. The DynoMax Street series headers are a pair of shorties with a
new, larger Y-pipe I believe.

****** 97 RPM Dakota - 14.98 @ 91.76 ******

sean meldrum
Email @ Home: spm@c3net.net