Re: ingnition upgrade on '97 too early? (via digest)

From: svieth@ameritech.net
Date: Sat May 30 1998 - 13:20:35 EDT

> >once again, on a 97? .. seems alittle too early to me.
>
> There is something to be said for the increased conductivity of the brass
> tho. The other big point for switching to the brass cap and rotor goes
> along with the use of CD ignitions. The hotter spark of these boxes can
> shorten the life of the stock type caps/rotors. Whether or not there's
> any performance increase is really not the issue for me....it's the piece
> of mind knowing that the MSD isn't gonna eat the stock cap after 20k miles.
>
> And I did have a noticable difference in acceleration after my Moroso wire
> install. I wouldn't say the truck was faster but it was exptremely obvious
> that it was running smoother and less labored on accerleration. And I did
> these b4 the cap/rotor/MSD/plugs so I know it wasn't anything else causing
> this. Definitely worth the money IMHO.

As you pointed out, the Moroso wires and cap/rotor replacement
have given you a few extra horses. With my rough idle and occasional
hard crank to start on damp days, I am replacing the wires, plugs and
cap/rotor just to be back to zero. I think I'm running in the
negative horsepower range (when compared to Day Zero) due
to my decaying wires and such.

As for "spending the money on better mods" (I can't remember who
penned the reply to my original post), how can one make other
mods if you're not confident of the wires and plugs? The best
throttle body-nitrous/supercharger/turbo-lumpy cam mod won't be
a darn bit of good if you're not getting a good fire in the hole.

I'm not looking at this as a horse-power gaining mod. I'm looking at
it as correcting a mistake made at the factory. They chose the wrong
wires. I'm putting the right ones on.

Sean, what cap are you running? The Accel stuff? Have you changed
your coil yet?

-Scott
'97 Dakota 327 SBC, 375hp (I wish!)
5.2l 5-spd, CC, 4wd (in reality)

"No, Homer, very few cartoons are broadcast live. It's a
terrible strain on the illustrator's wrist."