RE: Cup holders and five-speeds

From: Mike Muise (Mike.Muise@digital.com)
Date: Mon Jun 01 1998 - 17:49:29 EDT

Robert Tufts [SMTP:rbt@frontiernet.net] wrote:
>>> First off: Do you know the guy/gal who designed the cup holder
>>> on my '97 with 5-spd? Is this person a heavy crack user?

>> [...] I have yet to find a drink container that will fit in the cup
>> holder and not get crushed by a shift [...]

> [...] Maybe the '98s are different, but I got to where I was going
> (through the gears many times) and nothing was crushed or spilled.

Same here... '98 5spd with console. Three holders, two smaller ones close
to the shifter, one larger (slightly elevated) behind those two.
The small ones hold a large McD. coke (albeit tightly!), without crushing.

I _do_ find that the passenger's hand, when busy adjusting volume/station/
balance/etc., gets in the way of 1st/3rd/5th shifts. Since it's soft flesh,

though, instead of rigid beverage containers, you just have to get behind
the shift a bit more, and it'll work out OK. =) After the second or third

time getting their hand crunched by an authoritative shift, they learn to
move it outta the way!

cheers,
mike