Lots 'o stuf

From: craig.bennight (craig.bennight@mci2000.com)
Date: Tue Jun 02 1998 - 05:37:44 EDT

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01BD8DE0.3000EE40

 Howdy all, I'm a new member of the list, and had a couple of questions. =

    First of all, I am a long time member of the f-body =
(camaro/firebird) list, and see a lot of the same issues being raised.
    As for the thermostats, it is a common practice to go from the stock =
190 degree thermostat to a 160 degree thermostat, and to wire a switch =
to work the electric fans. I did this in my car,( a '96 z28), and went =
from a 13.72 at 102.6 to a 13.70 at 103.4. This was on the same night, =
neither was my first run, and the only difference was the thermostat =
change. I have had no driveability problems, and the computer stays in =
closed loop mode (it is primarily the o2 sensors that determine this =
anyway - and mine are heated) but I am going to change to the 180 =
degree on my 97 5.2L dak.
    I also see that there is alot of discussion about air intake. The =
consensus of the f-body list is that ram air, at least as it is =
implemented on the pointiac, works, but not much better than a standard =
cold air intake (dyno results at www.ws6.com) I am thinking of =
fashioning a cold air for the dakota, with a large type cone K&N in the =
front fender where the air box was, and some LARGE air ducting hose to =
the throttle body. Has anybody done this, and can anyone see any =
problems with mud/water getting in at this location? =20
    As for the exhuast delete causing a loss of torque, I did the exace =
same thing on my z, and the muffler delete (still 2 cats) caused a =
noticeable loss of low end torque, but a even larger gain at high =
speeds. I went from a 13.70@103.4 to a 13.61@104.1. All for about 20 =
bucks.
    What mods would you all reccomend that wouldn't set a code on the =
'97 computer? =20
    I just had my transmission rebuilt (it broke), and had them put in =
some heavy duty clutch packs, kevlar shift bands, a trans-go shift kit, =
and a 2000-2500 pro-torque torque converter. What kind of gains should =
I expect in my otherwise stock dak? Anyone done similar mods?
    A company in houston, GTP (Gallant Technical Performance), is going =
to do a heads/intake full port and polish, for me, and I was thinking of =
changing the cam. My question is: has anyone done similar mods? =
Suggested cams? Will this set trouble codes with my computer? I have =
been told that the dealer can re-program the computer if I give them the =
flowbench numbers for the heads? Any truth to this?

    Thanks for your help

Craig Bennight
97 Dakota 4x4 x-cab 5.2L sport. 15.9@89.4
96 Z28 350 w/bolt-ons 13.61@104.1=20
craig.bennight@mci2000.com

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01BD8DE0.3000EE40

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2> Howdy all, I'm a new member of =
the list,=20
and had a couple of questions. First of all, I am =
a long=20
time member of the f-body (camaro/firebird) list, and see a lot of the =
same=20
issues being raised. As for the thermostats, it is =
a=20
common practice to go from the stock 190 degree thermostat to a 160 =
degree=20
thermostat, and to wire a switch to work the electric fans. I did =
this in=20
my car,( a '96 z28), and went from a 13.72 at 102.6 to a 13.70 at=20
103.4. This was on the same night, neither was my first run, and =
the only=20
difference was the thermostat change. I have had no driveability =
problems,=20
and the computer stays in closed loop mode (it is primarily the o2 =
sensors that=20
determine this anyway - and mine are heated) but I am going to =
change to=20
the 180 degree on my 97 5.2L dak. I also see that =
there is=20
alot of discussion about air intake. The consensus of the f-body =
list is=20
that ram air, at least as it is implemented on the pointiac, works, but =
not much=20
better than a standard cold air intake (dyno results at <A=20
href=3D"http://www.ws6.com">www.ws6.com</A>) I am thinking of =
fashioning a=20
cold air for the dakota, with a large type cone K&N in the front =
fender=20
where the air box was, and some LARGE air ducting hose to the throttle=20
body. Has anybody done this, and can anyone see any problems with=20
mud/water getting in at this location? As =
for the=20
exhuast delete causing a loss of torque, I did the exace same thing on =
my z, and=20
the muffler delete (still 2 cats) caused a noticeable loss of low end =
torque,=20
but a even larger gain at high speeds. I went from a <A=20
href=3D"mailto:13.70@103.4">13.70@103.4</A> to a <A=20
href=3D"mailto:13.61@104.1">13.61@104.1</A>. All for about 20=20
bucks. What mods would you all reccomend that =
wouldn't set=20
a code on the '97 computer? I just had my=20
transmission rebuilt (it broke), and had them put in some heavy duty =
clutch=20
packs, kevlar shift bands, a trans-go shift kit, and a 2000-2500 =
pro-torque=20
torque converter. What kind of gains should I expect in my =
otherwise stock=20
dak? Anyone done similar mods? A company in =
houston,=20
GTP (Gallant Technical Performance), is going to do a heads/intake full =
port and=20
polish, for me, and I was thinking of changing the cam. My =
question=20
is: has anyone done similar mods? Suggested cams? Will =
this=20
set trouble codes with my computer? I have been told that the =
dealer can=20
re-program the computer if I give them the flowbench numbers for the=20
heads? Any truth to this?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2> Thanks for your=20
help</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Craig Bennight<BR>97 Dakota 4x4 =
x-cab 5.2L=20
sport. <A href=3D"mailto:15.9@89.4">15.9@89.4</A>96 Z28 =
350=20
w/bolt-ons <A href=3D"mailto:13.61@104.1">13.61@104.1</A> <A=20