Performance vs break-in

From: jim miller (jmiller@eramp.net)
Date: Sat Jun 06 1998 - 00:18:46 EDT

When I drive my new 98 dak V8 home from the dealer I loved the feal of
solidness of chassis that I have never experienced in any other
veichle I have owned. It is quiet and smoother riding than I
expected. I could not be happier. Now, the accelleration was
somewhat dissapointing. Even with the 318 v8, 3.92 axel, short bed
reg cab and Mopar headers I was afraid the truck was going to be a
"slug" Just to get moving I had to push the gas pretty far and
flooring it from a standstill would not even try to spin the 235r70x15
tires. But after putting about 100 miles on the truck i has sudenly
began to change dramatically. I even changed to 275r60x15 tires that
are wider and a little taller than the 70s were. Now the truck has
130 miles on it and it takes off very quickly with only 1/3 throttle
and 1/2 throttle will produce wheel spin on both wheels. Is it
possable that the new engine was soo tight that it actually lost a lot
of power? Wonder how much better it will get. Seems real peppy now.
Still have the stock muffler on it but I ordered a 2.5" straight
through muffler for it. I think I'll put that on and try it for a
while before going any further. Any suggestions? Anybody else find
the first 100 miles were not very fast?
Jim Miller
Waco, Tx
98 Reg cab V8 auto, 3.92SG