Re: DO NOT change t-stat...A discussion of cooling

From: t martin (tmartin1996@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Jun 05 1998 - 21:23:29 EDT

Wouldn't it be easier to say that the thermostat is a valve that restricts
the flow of coolant to the radiator and thus the ability of the radiator to
cool the coolant mixture (if it can't get to the radiator, the radiator
can't cool it!), and if it won't overheat at 195, then it won't overheat
with a lower temp valve (thermostat)? The proof is that it won't even
hardly get hot without any thermostat at all if it's working properly. Try
it in an older engine (non-computer). We used 140 deg thermostats in the
old days before ethylene glycol, when we had to use alcohol as antifreeze.
The damn cars didn't even seem to give out any heat at all - because they
_were_ running cold. Cold (below 180 deg) may not be good for newer cars
"cause of the computer controls systems.

--tm