Re: V8 Oil capacity

From: Joe Dille (joe@dille.montgomery.pa.us)
Date: Wed Jun 10 1998 - 08:18:37 EDT

Jon,

The foaming is caused by the crank throws hitting the surface of the oil in
the pan. You can see how this would happen if the oil level was too high. The
oil/air mixture (foam) does not pump well so parts of the engine can starve
for oil. Also air is a poor lubricant so you could ge t scuffing when the
bearings are lubricated with foam.

I find my 98 CC 5.2l very sensitive to the levelness of the ground when I check
hte oil. I once added an extra quart when the truck was "almost" level. Now I
try and check it only when it is dead level.

Drive Safe,

Joe

> When I change my oil, I like the level to be in the middle; between
>the full and "add" marks. With my '96 5.2l, 5 quarts puts it exactly
>there. (I always change my filter; if you don't change the filter,
>you'll need less, of course.) Its nice not having to worry about
>getting half a quart in there; I just empty, put on a new filter,
>and dump 5 quarts in the top. I run it for a minute or so and shut it
>off, then wait a few minutes and check the level, just to be sure. So
>far, its always been in the same place; right in the middle.
>
> That's how I've always changed my oil. I don't know how important
>the oil level is on the Daks, but with my previous car's engine,
>(Mitsubishi 3.0l twin turbocharged) you had to be careful not to
>overfill it, or you risk "foaming". I forget exactly what causes
>it, but if you overfill the oil in an engine, it can be churned up
>into foam (by the valvetrain, maybe?) and is generally not a good
>thing for your engine. So, I keep mine right in the middle, which I
>figure is the safest point between the two extremes of foaming and
>running out of oil.

Joe Dille

Telford PA USA
(joe@dille.montgomery.pa.us)