Crower 1.7 Rocker SNAFU

From: RAS002@worldnet.att.net
Date: Fri Jun 19 1998 - 21:53:13 EDT

#
  Hello DAKsters,

  Well, I was warned (don't laugh so hard Jules). I had about 150 miles
on the Crowers when one of them "fell off" it's stud. Luckily, it
didn't take out the keepers or valve. The problem was a combined lack
of knowledge by myself and Summit Racing.

  If you'll remember, I called Summit to order what I thought was a
complete, bolt-on, no modifications needed kit. What I received was
just the rocker arms. Another call to Summit got me the studs, but
little did I know, buying just the studs alone, the box didn't contain
the necessary washers that go under the studs.

  I proceeded to install everything according to directions (no mention
made of the washers in the instructions). Truck fired up and ran well.
150 miles later, pop-pop-bang goes the motor (with 1100 total miles on
it). I got it home, pulled the valve covers, and one rocker was cocked
off to the side and wedged against the spring. Upon closer inspection,
the stud had backed out of the head about 1/8", permitting enough
clearance in the valve gear to allow this to happen. I thought maybe I
missed torquing one of the studs, but after checking, 4 other studs were
doing the same.

  I called Crower and told them what happened, they were very surprised
that Summit would even consider selling these parts "piecemeal" and not
in kit form. They told me the washers would have prevented this from
happening, and that the new pushrod/guideplate kit was only necessary
when exceeding the factory redline.

  I pulled all the studs, cleaned out the holes and studs with carb
cleaner, and re-assembled everything with lock-tite this time. Also
raised the torque setting to 24# from 20# as per Crower. Did a
compression check on #3 cyl and it was fine.

  The bottom line is: If you are considering buying aftermarket parts,
please call the manufacturer FIRST, and inquire as to what EXACTLY is
included/required for installation.

                Later,

                        Russ Selkirk (45 & should know better)

P.S.
Got the check engine light the next day, but never during the popping
and banging session???

--
'96 Black Impala SS
'85 Silver Monte SS