Re: Open Element Air Cleaners: Popping up good ideas!

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 22 1998 - 22:47:06 EDT

At 03:51 PM 6/22/98 -0700, you wrote:
[...]
> Pretty obvious rules
>of thumb say short routing, smooth large diameter tubes and large plenum for
>the air box will all help. Seems like the ram air hoods are the best bet
>from a routing standpoint, but they have too small of an opening (like the
>Challenger "sport" hoods, great looking, but not very functional).
[...]

  I would've agreed with you less than a week ago, but now I'm not so
sure... Bill had a homemade ram-air system that sucked air from the
front of the truck and into the airbox (2 ducts) that gave him about .2
in the 1/4 mile. Last week, he hooked up his ram-air hood, and blocked
the old ram-air so it was only using the hood. (He also used an X-stream
lid with the hood.) I think the best he had run on street tires before
was a high 14.9? I just installed a Gibson cat-back and was hoping to
surprise him, but I didn't... He was runnin' 14.8! He was blowin' away
his old best time on a 70 degree day with humidity that ranged from 75%
to 85%. Not to shabby! Needless to say, I'm looking into a way to hook
up my ram-air too! :-) I'd like to see what happens when Bill unplugs
the old ram-air and runs with both of em flowin'!!

   Hopefully we'll get to run this week; we're planning on doing a bunch
of ram-air, open element, intake, etc. experimentin'; we'll have to let
y'all know what we come up with.

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (15.21@89.82), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |