Re: Cowl vs. Snout was: Open Element Air Cleaners

From: Rader (rlr@rtp-bosch.com)
Date: Wed Jun 24 1998 - 09:18:46 EDT

> > bottom of the windshield provided a high-pressure source

> I was in the Lockheed tunnel in Georgia, we were
> testing the Neon race cars and the Stratus race car and those set ups were
> sucking the air out and not it. Pontiac and some high performance mags say
> that the best place for any air induction is at the farthest forward part of
> the hood

  Trust me, the aerodynamics of the Neon and Stratus are not equivalent to
the Dakota, which is something of a big brick even at relatively low speeds.
The incidence of high and low pressure areas on a vehicle are so subject to
small changes in body design that it is very difficult to make blanket statements.
But, I'll have to toss my hat in the ring with the cowl induction people.
There's a reason that the venting system on most vehicles uses that area
for input, and it isn't because of vacuum.

  But, I also agree with Jon, and don't think you're going to see much
performance difference on a Dakota between ram air and cowl induction.
Go for the ducting that you were describing to us and report back to the
list.

  Ron