Re: Coolant/System Flush

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 25 1998 - 18:30:31 EDT

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998 HKUSP40578@aol.com wrote:

> Anyone out there have any tips for flushing everything out of my coolant
> system? Anyone ever use the Prestone Flush & Fill Kit? Is there an engine
> block drain pulg(s)??? Any info concerning flushing my Dak's coolant
> system I would greatly aprreciate!!!!! I figure at 90,000 miles its about

  I've never flushed my system, but I did drain it when I installed my
180 degree thermostat. (Documented at:
http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/WWW/DAKOTA/UPGRADES/TSTAT/)

  Yes, there are two 9/16" drain plugs on the block, one on each side.
One of 'em came out easily, but the other one took quite a bit of
yankin' before it broke loose. Coolant sort of sprays all over the place
when you're draining; you'll probably want to use something with a wide
mouth; maybe a 5 gallon pail or something. That's what I used, and
even then I spilled a fair amount. Be careful, the stuff in the
block stays hot for a *long* time!

> time to maybe to this, even though the needle has NEVER moved, no matter
> how hot is it out or no matter what I am pulling, it never moves. Also
> how maybe gallons of antifreeze with a 70/30 mix will I need to fill it
> back up??? THANKS

  I think my system took about 5 gallons, so a 70/30 mix would be
3.5/1.5 gallons; figure on buying 4/2 gallons to be safe. (You'll
probably have to anyway; I've never seen antifreeze sold by the
1/2 gallon.

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (15.21@89.82), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |