Re: new-headers

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sun Jun 28 1998 - 02:45:03 EDT

At 12:59 AM 6/28/98 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 6/27/98 10:11:25 PM Central Daylight Time,
>bruces@idworld.net writes:
>
><< Also I was wondering which headers I should get for my truck? I have seen
> them from Doug Thorley, Edelbrock, and Gibson. Which ones would be best?
> Also I have heard about changing the Y-pipe and catalytic converter for
> more flow. Should this be done? What is envolved in changing the y-pipe?
> I would appreciate any help. >>
>
>In the immortal words of Bruce Willis "Welcome to the party pal"
>
>I installed a set of Gibson shortys on my 96. They bolted right up. (believe
>it or not) I didnt have to do anything to the Y pipe, other than unbolt the
>old manifolds. From what I understand, there isn't much difference in HP or
>torque between all the header manufacturers for our trucks. So I chose the
>easy way.
>George

   I've been trying to decide on headers for a while myself. It'll be a
while longer before I can afford 'em, but headers are one of those things
that can get as confusing as you'd like 'em to be. :-)

   One nice thing about the Doug Thorley (or Mopar Perfomance) headers
is that they include everything back to the cat, so you don't have to
worry about replacing the pathetic stock Y-pipe. (If you happen to
have one of the model years with the small, kinked pipe.)

  George, how hard was it to unbolt the stock manifolds from the
Y-pipe? If my y-pipe is rusted up anything like my exhaust was, I'll
probably end up just cutting it off.

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (15.21@89.82), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |