Life expectancy of the Gibson cat back

From: Bill Countie (wgcount@fas.harvard.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 04 1998 - 18:34:01 EDT

Hi All,
        I haven't much to say because my truck has been working great for
the 3 years or so since I did the exhaust mods back in 1995. The Gibson
cat back 3" will fail at about 35000 miles at the 2.5" adaptor and the
compound curves after the muffler, check the outside of the curves. I had
the original exhaust as a failsafe which was a great idea since it bolted
back in (so I could pass inspection) with only a 2.5 to 2.5 coupler. I
wish the Gibson folks would have used Stainless Steel so I wouldn't need
to replace it so soon. Maybe I should try something else? Anyone have a
preference as long as it is stainless? I guess this replacement allows me
to replace the Cat with s 3" high flow unit. Any Info?

Cheers,
Homebrew Bill

1994 Dakota 5.2l 5 speed (R/T in progress)
1986 Daytona Turbo Z C/S (everything in progress)
Bill Countie
e-mail wgcount@fas.harvard.edu