Re: engine swap/supercharger

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 06 1998 - 22:21:57 EDT

At 08:50 PM 7/6/98 -0400, you wrote:

><< Go with the 5.9 (360) CRATE MOTOR! No computers, no FI, just a 750 cfm
> holley and 380 HP!! Unless you have to pass a smog test (here in CA we
> pioneered the nasty things) >>
>Bruce, again, I couldnt agree more! The only thing with the crate thing is
>streetability!! I love cruising to work 66 miles round trip 6 days a week.
>Cant do that with the crate motor!!
> Thanks for the smog test CA!!!!
>Eric

  Eric,

  What are the streetability issues of the crate motor? Sometime in the
distant future, I'm looking to swap a 360 into my Dak, but I'm still very
much in the planning stages. I'd like the crate motor for the horsepower,
but going the route you did and using a production motor would simplify
the installation and also go a long way towards making the engine look stock
for the benefit of the inspectors... (Also, I'd really prefer fuel injection
over a carb)

  Anyway, any info you could give me would be great. Eventually, I hope
to turn my Dak into a 600hp fire breathing beast that'll turn 11's. (This
is obviously a long time away.) ;-) However, I do want to keep it
streetable; otherwise I could buy a much lighter vehicle for dragstrip
use.

  I don't mind lower gas mileage if it pays off in more power and lower
E/T's, but I doubt that's what you were talking about. :-)

  On a related subject, what is the difference between the 380 crate
motor and a production motor? Fuel injection is an obvious one. I
believe the crate motors also use the M1 intake manifold. There must
be more for the HP difference though. Anyone know?

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.98@90.18), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |