Re: engine swap/supercharger

From: Brian (leefam@wcc.net)
Date: Mon Jul 06 1998 - 23:07:19 EDT

> What are the streetability issues of the crate motor? Sometime in the
>distant future, I'm looking to swap a 360 into my Dak, but I'm still very
>much in the planning stages. I'd like the crate motor for the horsepower,
>but going the route you did and using a production motor would simplify
>the installation and also go a long way towards making the engine look stock
>for the benefit of the inspectors... (Also, I'd really prefer fuel injection
>over a carb)
>
> Anyway, any info you could give me would be great. Eventually, I hope
>to turn my Dak into a 600hp fire breathing beast that'll turn 11's. (This
>is obviously a long time away.) ;-) However, I do want to keep it
>streetable; otherwise I could buy a much lighter vehicle for dragstrip
>use.
>
> I don't mind lower gas mileage if it pays off in more power and lower
>E/T's, but I doubt that's what you were talking about. :-)
>
> On a related subject, what is the difference between the 380 crate
>motor and a production motor? Fuel injection is an obvious one. I
>believe the crate motors also use the M1 intake manifold. There must
>be more for the HP difference though. Anyone know?
>

> -Jon-

Jon,

I got the MP catalog right here. Other diffs are cam (much bigger than
stock) - .501"/.513"lift 288/292 duration. It says "smaller valves (1.925
intake/1.625 exhaust) and better ports flow more air". Also, 9.0:1
compression ratio with swirl port heads. Check out the torque - 410+ lb/ft
@ 4400 rpm and 350 lb/ft from 2000 to 5700 rpm!! Torque is king, baby!!!
Anyhow, that's all it says.

Brian