Q&A for Jon (and anyone else who cares)

From: Hoopgj@aol.com
Date: Mon Jul 06 1998 - 23:15:15 EDT

Jon, thanks for the incredible advice. I dupmed the original message from the
files, but I did print a hard copy this morning. Took it to work so I could
answer the questions.

You said that you are running 14.98@90.1...What are your rear gears, I am
running a 3.55LSD.

MSD on or off...I am going to reattach the original harness, and also going to
install plug connectors, so I can run with the msd, and then without on the
same day. Will see if it make a difference having it on or off.

Plugs...I use Champian Truck Plugs, gapped at .038

Round Robin run...no I get about an hour between runs to cool down. I open the
hood and let all that nasty heat out.

Thermostat...It is stock right now, but got the part number from the web page
for the 180 and will get it tommorrow.

Do I drive thru the water?...No, I drive around cause my fronts were getting
too much water in them, and when i would launch, the tires would spin thru L1,
and part of L2. I go around the water, back up so I get about 1/4 of the tire
wet, then pull out and brake stand the smokin tires for about 5 to 10 seconds.
Then I do 1 or 2 dry hops, before staging.

Tire Pressure....I run 32psi on the street, but for some reason I dropped down
to 25 at the track. Guess it was from listening to the dudes with slicks.

Loss of traction....I am gonna pick up a set of lakewood traction bars
tommorrow, on the same trip to the autozone.

Trans shifting...I have an OD auto. I turn off the OD when racing, until I
cross the traps. I've tried shifting by hand, but didnt make any difference,
it will shift when it is good and ready to.

Do I leave the windows down...Nope, kills the airflow, but the sportsman class
rules here state that if the window goes up, or the top goes up, you close it!
I also have a tek-style tonneau cover on the bed, so no interrupion of air
there.

Leaks...I usually check the headers torque every two weeks. (nothing better to
do with my time)

Thanks again for all the help and we will see where I am. BTW I should be able
to run this weekend, they are holding the summer nats here, and are bringing
in some nitro burners, and alcohol funny cars. So I hop they let us local boys
run too.
George