Re: engine swap/supercharger

From: Brian (leefam@wcc.wcc.net)
Date: Tue Jul 07 1998 - 13:52:11 EDT

At 04:45 AM 7/7/98 EDT, you wrote:

><<
> Ya could give me all the details on the 5.9L swap, it would be a lot easier
> to do than rebuild my 5.2L. Besides changing motor mounts, is there
> anything else to it (computer change, etc.)? I live in a small town in
> West Texas where all they care about is that your lights and horn work,
> they don't even care if your car looks lik e a smoke machine when it drives
> down the street. How much would a 5.9L Magnum from the junkyard be? A
> 5.9L would kick ass in my driveshaftless truck. Oh yeah!!! >>
>Brian,,,Driveshaftless???? Cost, Im not to sure, maybe a couple hundred
>bones?
>If you had the 5.2 all you need is a 5.9 flywheel (for the manual) and the
>computer. Also you need a 5.2 oilpan with the baffling cut out. Other than
>that its a direct bolt in! Same mounts and everything. I even used my 5.2
>computer and harness until I can get the 5.9 hipo computer. You know, while
>your 5.2 is out, why not take the intake off like I did and do the intake
mod?
>What happen to the 5.2 by the way??
>Eric
>Any more questions just let me know

I got an auto trans, so I guess I get to change torque convertors.
Driveshaftless - that would be me because my front half piece(club cab)
looks similar to a pretzel, or tweaked, if ya want to say it that way. The
5.2 in the truck is fine, for 88000 miles. I am looking for a motor with
less milage, so I thought about building mine up for power, or swapping in
a newer one. By the way, the first owner of my truck had it tow 32 ft+
trailers (full of tractors, cords of wood, etc.) on his ranch. He put a
10,000 lb hitch on the truck. The truck came with extra springs when I
bought it 'cause of this. Anyhow, he put 77000 miles on it doing this, so
the motor could be a little tired. It doesn't help that I race it, either.
 Something with 15000-25000 miles would be great in a 5.9. Why can't the
5.9 oil pan be used? A couple hundred bucks??? MUCH cheaper than a
rebuild!!! Looks like I need to sell my Bronco quick, so I can get a 5.9!!!

Brian