Re: engine swap/supercharger

From: Brian (leefam@wcc.net)
Date: Tue Jul 07 1998 - 14:51:47 EDT

At 12:52 PM 7/7/98 -0500, you wrote:
>At 04:45 AM 7/7/98 EDT, you wrote:
>>In a message dated 98-07-06 22:35:34 EDT, you write:
>>
>><<
>> Ya could give me all the details on the 5.9L swap, it would be a lot easier
>> to do than rebuild my 5.2L. Besides changing motor mounts, is there
>> anything else to it (computer change, etc.)? I live in a small town in
>> West Texas where all they care about is that your lights and horn work,
>> they don't even care if your car looks lik e a smoke machine when it drives
>> down the street. How much would a 5.9L Magnum from the junkyard be? A
>> 5.9L would kick ass in my driveshaftless truck. Oh yeah!!! >>
>>Brian,,,Driveshaftless???? Cost, Im not to sure, maybe a couple hundred
>>bones?
>>If you had the 5.2 all you need is a 5.9 flywheel (for the manual) and the
>>computer. Also you need a 5.2 oilpan with the baffling cut out. Other than
>>that its a direct bolt in! Same mounts and everything. I even used my 5.2
>>computer and harness until I can get the 5.9 hipo computer. You know, while
>>your 5.2 is out, why not take the intake off like I did and do the intake
>mod?
>>What happen to the 5.2 by the way??
>>Eric
>>Any more questions just let me know
>

>I got an auto trans, so I guess I get to change torque convertors.
>Driveshaftless - that would be me because my front half piece(club cab)
>looks similar to a pretzel, or tweaked, if ya want to say it that way. The
>5.2 in the truck is fine, for 88000 miles. I am looking for a motor with
>less milage, so I thought about building mine up for power, or swapping in
>a newer one. By the way, the first owner of my truck had it tow 32 ft+
>trailers (full of tractors, cords of wood, etc.) on his ranch. He put a
>10,000 lb hitch on the truck. The truck came with extra springs when I
>bought it 'cause of this. Anyhow, he put 77000 miles on it doing this, so
>the motor could be a little tired. It doesn't help that I race it, either.
> Something with 15000-25000 miles would be great in a 5.9. Why can't the
>5.9 oil pan be used? A couple hundred bucks??? MUCH cheaper than a
>rebuild!!! Looks like I need to sell my Bronco quick, so I can get a 5.9!!!
>
>Brian
>
>Oh yeah, I forgot to ask this earlier - I have a MP computer on the truck
now - is it compatible with 5.9, or should I take the computer out of the
truck the motor comes from? Is it possible to do the motor swap, get a
driveshaft made, and the rearend changed for $1000? I'm not sure which
rear I'd use yet. If I can afford this whole thing and get it done soon, I
can go to the 'Nats with a 5.9 Dak.

Brian - again