Re: College student with limited resources

From: Brian (leefam@wcc.net)
Date: Wed Jul 08 1998 - 21:25:50 EDT

At 08:31 PM 7/8/98 -0400, you wrote:
>interesting ideas. There are a few mods I'd like to do. I almost did the
>swap and put in the Mopar Performance computer. But then I realized that
>I'd have to run 92 or 93 octane. I'm paying out of state tuition at
>Virginia Tech so it's quite clear where all of my money is going at the
>moment. I really couldn't afford the extra cost.
> I was wondering what could be done that is fairly inexpensive (say
>$200-$300) that could increase the power on my 89, 3.9L 4x4, without also
>costing too much more in other maintenance and gas costs.
> I'm trying to find a CO-OP job for the upcoming spring semester. That
>should put some cash in my hand to spend on my truck. Including the paint.
> I had the luck of getting the truck used (Dark Blue) before I realized it
>was going to peel this bad. But I still love it. Ignoring the paint the
>truck has been nothing but nice to me. It's gotten me out of more than one
>bad situation. I just wish it had the limited slip differential.
>
>/\/\att
>89 - 3.9 - 4x4

College - the never ending loss of $$. I'm in college, so I know what's
it's like. Anyhow, try getting a custom exhaust at a local shop. That
should help. I don't have too much knowledge on Pre-Magnum Dakotas, but I
always try to help. Mopar Performance has some stuff, too. There are three
cams for your motor: P4452806 (.405 lift intake and exhaust, 240 duration
intake and exhaust), P4452808 (Lift - .410 intake/.425 exhaust, Duration -
248 intake/256 exhaust), and P4452810 (Lift - .430 intake/.450 exhaust,
Duration - 260 intake/268 exhaust). In the catalog, none of the durations
listed are at .050 of lift, they are advertised durations. Anyhow, if I
were going to modify the truck a lot, and wanted a slightly lumpy idle I
would go with the last one(P4452810), otherwise I would go with P4452808.
All are $129 in the catalog and come with lifters. They also make headers
for your truck P4529478 (1 5/8" head pipes into a 3" collector) $149 in the
catalog. Check some perfomce outlet places that deal specifically in
Mopars and you might save some $$$.

I already gave this info to someone else, so I just pasted it on this.
Some of this might seem technical, if you don't know much about cam specs.
Personally since you have a minimal amount, or no mods I would go with Cam
No. 2 - (P4452808). It should give you more low end and midrange power.
LSD's for the 8.25 rear are $200. MP tech line is 1-248-853-7290, they can
be helpful. You might not want to start out with the cam change if you
don't feel comfortable doing it. I would be exhaust and headers for now.
Get other answers before doing anything though, 'cause they probably know
more than me.=)

Brian