RE: Throttle body coating???

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 10 1998 - 18:01:21 EDT

On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, STRICKLAND, Tate wrote:

> Reapply it regularly? I've heard good stuff about Mother's, but never
> used it.

  Hmm, I don't know. I hadn't really thought about it.

> Also, did you guys take your TB's to a friend with a machine shop to
> get the big stuff taken off, or just whip out the hacksaw? I think I
> read that Sean did just that. Any other suggestions on dos and don'ts
> for this project? Any sources online for specific suggestions on
> reshaping blade shaft, type of locktight, ect to use in reassembly,
> source for lower profile blade screws, diagram of desired shaft
> shape,ect. If not, I might just do the "big stuff" and polish her up
> for now.

   I used a hacksaw. I left 4 "nubs" to hold my aircleaner and my
upcoming ram-air in place, otherwise it would have been a lot easier
(could have just sawed the top right down). But, the hacksaw and a
dremel tool got the job done. (For some of the top stuff, I didn't
even use the hacksaw handle since there wasn't much room to maneuver;
I just wrapped one end of a blade in a shop towel, which seemed to
work pretty well.)

  I used 242 Loctite.

  For the blade screws, I would recommend using your stock screws,
but grinding off the part that sticks out the other end. I wouldn't
worry about the heads; they sit fairly flush to the shaft.

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.98@90.18), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |