Re: DML:JBA trip report...

From: Bruce Bridges (bbridges@alarismed.com)
Date: Wed Jul 15 1998 - 17:08:12 EDT

DMLers,
I just got back from a visit to JBA. Talked to Jeff and his boss John. Got
a tour of the factory. Heres what I know and think:
1. The Dakota headers are definitely 14-15 guage 409 stainless steel. I
laid hands on them. They look great.
2. Gibson used to sell only JBA headers. Now only their stainless line is
JBA.
3. Only JBA headers have a blend or as they trademarked "fire cone" at the
collector to smooth the transistion from one to four pipes. This design has
been patented by JBA.
4. All JBA headers are pressure tested for leakage at 100psi. Watched this
happen on a large pile of chevvvy headers.
5. The workmanship IMHO is excellent. I am a mechanical engineer with a
manufacturing and fabrication background. The welds on the headers I saw
were very good. All headers are built on a platform specific Jig with
adequate clamping to assure a good fit (provided the jig is good).
6. JBA is definitely going to offer a Y pipe for non R/T Daks. It will be
ready by November or earlier so they say. They are looking for a SanDiego
Dak owner who is willing to let them prototype this his/her DAK. Cant use
my R/T so NOW IS THE TIME for you local SanDiego Dak owners to fly to JBA.
Only one truck will get the prototype though...
7. JBA caoted headers have the same warrantly as uncaoted, but the cating
itself is life time warranteed... Interesting.
8. The truck vs. car warranty differences were exp[lained to me. If we
could demonstrate (but we cant) that all dakotas are used like cars or race
cars, then the lifetime warranty would be ours, but since some of you dakota
guys actually use your truck like a truck (what a concept) then the prorated
warranty stands. From what Isaw of the header construction I wouldnt
anticipate a failure unless your motor is really messed anyhow. Still seems
a little unfair.
FINALLY:
Once I get my JBA headers installed I will have JBA fabricate a set of the
dual headpipes for my R/T (with the right 2into 1 converter, thank you) They
will optomize/maximize the dia and routing but I cant tell you what they
will look like until they are done. I can also get them to make more of the
same, hopefully at a reduced price, for you other R/T owners if you are
interested. Email me if you want a set. well work it out.
longwindedly,
Bruce K Bridges
Mopar Nut