Re: Oil pressure drop!!

From: T & J (jan@bewellnet.com)
Date: Wed Jul 15 1998 - 21:04:51 EDT

From:Tim Roller>magnum318@bewellnet.com

>I don't have the printed gauge setup in my '95,but from experience on stock
motors the builders generally build oil pumps where there is minimum 10lbs
oil pressure for every 1000 rpm, so if you read at least 25 lbs at idle-you
are safe.All oil pumps also have a limiter spring in them to limit the high
side pressure so as not to blow out gaskets that weren't made for such high
oil pressures unless you swap in a new "high volumn" or "high pressure" oil
pump and also update all the gaskets to high performance type. As to why it
would be so radical all of a sudden it may be your oil sending unit, because
of all the different oils and additives being used,because the sending unit
has at all times been givin a different pressure due to the different oils
and their viscosities. Try running with a good oil and stay with it and its
viscosity whether it be a mineral oil or synthetic and your sending unit
should stabilise. Hope this helps, if it doesn't stabilise within 1-week, I
would change out the unit
> As to my oil pressure it comes up about half way on the gauge when idling
and when road cruising will go to 3/4 way to the high side which for my
truck has been normal since I got it. It does go to the low side when it is
about to change oil at about the 3000mile mark but I don't let it get that
far, I change my oil between 2500 to 2800 miles,after noticing the pressure
drop from what I consider normal