Re: Re: Shorty vs. Long-tube headers

From: Rader (rlr@rtp-bosch.com)
Date: Fri Jul 17 1998 - 09:07:26 EDT

Mike Miller wrote:

> Anyway, shorty style headers are a definite improvement over cast iron
> manifolds. But, I figure regular long style headers are going to cost me
> just as much, and they DO provide more power.

[long discussion about scavenging deleted]

  Hey Mike, thanks for the discussion. That's exactly the sort of answer
I was hoping for, and you gave us a lot of valid information.

> But for racing, a longer header is better.

  This is the rub. My Dakota is my daily driver, plus unlike the DML boy
racers, I actually use my truck as a truck. Hence my desire to keep the
torque peak at a somewhat manageable (i.e. streetable) RPM range, and still
allow ground clearance and room to work.

> BTW, I'm a mechanical engineer that specialized in compressible fluid
> mechanics, so this is my specialty.

  Um, OK.

> Go to the dragstrip and see how long
> the headers are on the faster cars. If they use longer headers, it must be
> better, right? But obviously there's some optimal header length, otherwise
> I'm sure someone would build a header with the collector at the rear
> bumper.

  I'm sure you didn't mean to give us the impression that exhaust tuning is
simply a matter of primary tube length.

  Dialing in a system to hit peak power at WOT is one thing, using it on the
grocery getter is another.

  Thanks for the discussion,

  Ron