Vortech Supercharger - Dragstrip results

From: Kabuki2@aol.com
Date: Sat Jul 18 1998 - 11:07:42 EDT

Got to do some testing last night at the track.

The conditions, couldn't have been any worse, with my truck previous best
being in the 15.3 range and just barely squeeking by @ 90 mph on a 70 degree
night with fairly low humidity.. there's a lot to be improved on.

I got to the track last night and all I could say was yuck, I knew something
was wrong because a 6 spd drag radial equipped LT1 F-bod was only able to
click off a 14.1 and I've seen the car in the mid-low 13s before.... temps
were in the mid 80s at night with a very, very high humidity.

so I pull up to the staging lanes and find the dragstrip to be packed, no
pulling up and running... so then I had to sit and let my truck reach meltdown
temps before being able to race... not my day.

I pull up to the line for my first pass with the boost retard on 1... I pull a
2.3 60', a 9.3 1/8th mile @ 78 mph, and a 14.5 1/4 mile @ 98 mph, which was
good enough for me to beat my friends 91 Mustang GT. He usually runs a
14.2-14.4 on a good night.. tonight? 14.8... lol

I only got to make 3 pass', one was with the boost retard on 2 just to see
what'd happen.. ended up doing a 14.7 @ 96 or some awful number

last pass, boost retard again on 1, I'm racing a nice sounding LT1 Camaro.

Start was better, a 2.2 60' time.. 1/8th mile was 9.3 @ 77 mph, and the Camaro
still had me... after the 1/8th mile I start catching him hard on the top
end.. then I hear something. I forgot to turn my O/D off!!!! doh.... So I
ended up on the brakes for the last few feet... still went a 14.65 @ 82 mph...

All these times were with the stock pulley making only 5psi @ 5000 rpm.

I'm probably going to change the pulley on the blower tonight so I can make
boost alittle bit earlier. My truck makes very little boost until I reach the
3000-3500 rpm point... Everyone watching my truck said when I launched, it
looked like I was going to run 16s.... and then I'd get halfway to the 60'
mark and then they could hear the engine getting louder and the tail end of
the truck would squat down a few inches and off I'd go......... cool

I need to work on getting the truck moving now, stall converter in the
2500-2800 range should work nicely. Any suggestions?

ttyl
patrick