Re: Throttle Body Mods, Theory

From: Mike Miller (slepyhed@netway.com)
Date: Sat Jul 18 1998 - 21:56:42 EDT

----------
> From: T & J <jan@bewellnet.com>
> To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
> Subject: Re: DML: Throttle Body Mods, Theory
> Date: Saturday, July 18, 1998 12:14 AM
>
> From:Tim Roller>magnum318@bewellnet.com
>
> >Well I'm not too smart, being from the SOUTH and born in the back
country
> of Arkansas, but it would seem to me that if you take measurements of the
> throttle blades and measurements of a stock TB bore at the top inside and
> take these measurements and call up HOLLEY carburaters and give them the
> measurements, considering they still make 2-barrel carbs they might give
you
> the CFM ratings and we can go from there on the boring out and come up
with
> a close equivilient CFM measurement. It's at least worth a shot.

OK, #1, don't sell yourself short, man! Remeber that Chuck Yeager had
virtually no formal education, and he was from WEST VIRGINIA. He was
perhaps the best test pilot ever. The thing he had was practical knowledge,
and he was able to apply that knowledge throughout his career. The proof
that he was an extraordinary test pilot lies in the fact that he's still
alive today. I really believe that an ounce of field data is worth a pound
of engineering analysis.

Aside from that, we really don't care about what the flow ratings are on
our throttle bodies. What we really want to know is, "How much faster will
my truck be if I make this mod?" My guess, based on the calculations that I
explained, is that the improvement will be significant (ie, measurable). If
I can prove that the mod makes a difference, then I'd reccomend that
everyone do the same thing. If I can't demonstrate a significant
imrpovement, then I'd advise the list to not waste their time. I don't run
a speed shop, I have nothing to gain. I'm just out here to show what works
and what doesn't.

So, my response to your post is that I really am not interested in how much
CFM my current throttle body will flow. Rather, I want to know if I'll get
more performance if I perform the throttlebody modification. The flow
numbers that I just picked out of my ass were merely part of my reasoning
for why I _think_ this mod will work. Like I've said, I could be wrong.
Only dragstrip testing will show.

Stay tuned...

-Mike Miller