Drag racing, WAS: headers

From: Mike Miller (slepyhed@netway.com)
Date: Sun Jul 19 1998 - 22:10:25 EDT

----------
> From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
> To: DAKOTA-TRUCK@buffnet.net
> Subject: Subject: DML: Re: Headers
> Date: Sunday, July 19, 1998 10:53 AM
>
> I'll be slapping down my plastic Monday morning for the coated
> variety!
>
> >>To respond to your question: If you're not looking for *maximum*
[snip]
> COOL! For only $25 I gotta' try this. I got some neat tips for the

> novice from Sean Meldrum so hopefully I'll stay out of too much
> trouble. Are they open every Saturday for street rigs?
>
> T.
>
> >>If all you're looking for is fun, you'll love testing at NE
Dragway.
[snip]

Generally, Saturdays are always test and tune days, open for guys like us.
There are a few times when they have big races that take two days. Then,
Saturday is not available for general "testing." I don't have a schedule
for this year, and I don't have their phone number. Try directory
assistance for epping, New Hampshire. It might turn out to be like
oldsmobile day or pontiac day or something, but they still let people with
other cars in. If its chevy day, I'd probably not go. The place will be too
crowded on chevy day.

When you go, be sure to bring a hat, suntan lotion and a jug of drinking
water. There's very little shade, so you'll want to think in terms of
"desert survival." You have to wear full length pants (jeans), though. Its
for safety reasons. You can wear t-shirts, but tank tops are forbidden.
Also, be sure to get a cheeseburger at the concession stand. They are
pretty bad, but its all part of the drag racing experiance. No beer is
allowed into the facility, for obvious reasons.

When you get there, you pay $10 at the gate to get in. Then follow the
signs to tech inspection, where you'll fill out a form and a release
waiver. They'll charge you another $15 at this point. You will definitely
have loads of questions. Don't be afraid to ask either the tech officials
or other racers. Also, this thing is a big social event. For most of the
day you'll end up sitting around in the staging lanes. Don't be afraid to
wander around and ask other people about their cars. Almost everyone there
likes to talk about their cars.

At tech inspection, they will write your racing number on the windshield,
the passenger side window and the back window. They use white shoe polish
to do this. Don't worry about it, it washes off with soap and water. In
fact, you'll probably want to leave the number on until late Sunday when
you get home. It's kinda like a sign saying, "Hey, I'm the studly dude that
went racing this weekend with all the other toughguys."

Also, keep a sharp eye out for the "drag racing babes." The current fasion
is a bikini top with shorts. There's always plenty to look at (nice cars,
too!).

I'm thinking of going again this Saturday to test out my new Lakewood
traction bars. If you want to go, email me privately and maybe we can hook
up!

-Mike Miller, 1998 RC R/T