Re: Dakota sound systems! A waste???

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 20 1998 - 15:39:29 EDT

On Sun, 19 Jul 1998, Douglas Bowerman wrote:

> Hey all,
> You know, I would like to put my voice in on this. I am not that old
> you see. I have only been into the audio scene for about 6-7 years. I
> have had about 4 years of subscriptions to audio magazines, including
> months of paying news stand prices. I have spent hours upon hours
> dreaming up my systems. I was gearing myself up for what???
> I had a 3K system. It's peanuts. Peanuts!!! (It isn't uncommon to
> drop 10K and still put in more the next month. I was gonna do it.)
> Then some punks took my system. I lost a lot of money. Stereo systems
> are show and tell.
> Then I bought my Dak. :) I want to urge, and do it strongly, to all of
> you, do not waste time and money on this silly thing called audio.
> Spank people. Spank 'em hard. But don't spank 'em with audio.
> Let me say how much I worried about my system. I spent hours upon
> hours, during the years I had a system, worrying about choads stealing
> it. I spent all the time removing my face. I spent time making it
> stealth. I spent time and money getting new gear. I spent even more
> time installing, and dreaming up better installs. What a waste!
> It is all gone!!! I now have no worries about people stealing my stock
> system. What a heavy weight lifted.
> Y'all can take this story how you want. The point I want to make is put
> the money into other things. Mod your vehicle. Spank the comp. Take
> your woman/man out on the town. Put you money into a big screen TV.
> Buy some drapes for the kitchen window. (I know y'all never thought of
> that one!) Buy a new computer. After some time passes you'll realize
> how much time you spent on that silly thing called audio, and how much
> show and tell you really did.

  Good post, Doug. :-)

  Yep, I was exactly like that too (though to a lesser extent). When
I bought my first car of my very own, (1990 Dodge Colt), I immediatly
threw about $1,000 into the sound system. Then of course I worried about
it getting stolen so I had to buy an alarm... I definitely didn't get my
money out of it when I sold it either.

  When I ordered my Dakota, I didn't get the Infinity system with the CD
player because I was going to upgrade it (and the Infinity stuff is
proprietary). The only reason I even have a cassette is because it came
standard in the SLT package. Well, as it turns out, I never did get around
to installing that system. Now, I sometimes wish I had that CD player. My
Dad has a Town & Country with the Infinity system with CD/cassette, and it
sounds pretty darn good. As long as I can hear the music with the windows
down, I'm happy.

  (Speaking of which, if any of you guys who ripped out your Infinity
systems for better stuff would like to recoup some of your cost, I might
be interested in buying it from you if the price is right.) I have a
'96 Club Cab.

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.98@90.18), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |