RE: Re: Dak OE Tires

From: Bruce Bridges (bbridges@alarismed.com)
Date: Tue Jul 21 1998 - 11:36:54 EDT

OK, heres an attempt.
Gas shocks and hydraulic shocks are one in the same! Gas shocks have the
addition of a pressureized nitrogen oil reservior that keeps the oil from
foaming under extreme service. Typically gas shocks are valved stiffer and
may have a slight spring rate due to the gas pressure. KYBs will stiffen
the ride of the vehicle somewhat. Billstiens (a fantastic shock!!) do not
stiffen the ride per se but have some neat valving that adds control through
excellent damping properties. Both are gas filled. I use both mfgs on
different vehicles and have to say that the extra $$ are worth it for the
Billstiens IF your not looking for a stiffer ride but just more control!
KYBs are the best bet for the money, but your butt will feel them. Just
what my 65 barracuda needed was a little stiffening. ALSO, I think Solomon
(sic?) is definitly on to a potential cause for Dak tire wear. My 90
thunderturd chowed its first set of factory installed cheap tires in 25 K
miles. I put new struts (Billsteins) and tires on at the same time and
proceeded to get 55K miles on the tires with even wear. The Tturd gets
driven really hard since it gets no respect. The tire guys were even
impressed.
BKB
 Just a npote to save my soul, I did not buy the bird, but it was given to
me by my grandfather after they yanked his license. Wheww.