Comment on K&N Filters

From: DRD892@aol.com
Date: Wed Jul 22 1998 - 19:44:05 EDT

I have been reading all the comments, pro and con, on the K&N
Air Filters and excessive engine wear. I would like to throw a
couple of comments on this subject.

I tend to agree with the people who think that under normal street
driving the K&N setup will not cause excessive engine wear.
I am currently selling a '95 Neon Sport Sedan (5-Speed) with
just under 86,000 miles. It has run K&N Filters from day one.
I just pulled the plugs tonight and all four are perfect and the
throttle body is clean. It runs better than new. I have changed the
oil every 2,000 miles with filter. The oil coming out is as clean as
when I put it in. I can see no evidence of wear anywhere.

My '97 Dakota is 37,000 and I have used the K&N open element (10X3)
for most of this mileage. I am a bit of a "clean" nut. I have four K&N
filters for the truck and rotate them. I do not like dirty filters. I change
the oil (10W30 Marathon Turbo oil) every 1500 to 1800 miles and use
Fram PH16 filters. I constantly check the throttle body for any evidence
of dirt and have found none. The oil does not get dirty. I see no
indication of wear and the truck runs great.

Think I'll stick with what works.

David R.
Sterling Heights
Michigan