RE: Comment on K&N Filters

From: Holloway,Frank T (Frank.T.Holloway@KP.ORG)
Date: Thu Jul 23 1998 - 00:39:13 EDT

I'd like to comment on the subject of K&N Air Filters. Although I don't
own a Dak, I do own two Dodge Rams, (1995 Club Cab and a 1998 Quad
Cab).
Both have K&N air filters. Oil saturated air filters have been around
since the advent of air filters and do a very good job at filtering the
air and they are
very low restriction to boot. In addition to my trucks I own and fly
airplanes, (been flying for 20 years). Every airplane that I have ever
owned, has been treated
to a "Brackett Air Filter". These filters are aftermarket air filters
very similiar to the K&N and are approved by the FAA for use in
airplanes. Additionally, my
planes have an oil analysis performed every 25 hours or Oil change
whichever occurs first, and I have performed the oil analysis on both
trucks. With the
oil saturated air filters, the oil has less contamination then with
conventional paper elements. I suspect the tests that were posted
earlier were flawed,
possibly the elements were not sealed correctly in the air filter
housing. Anyway, those are my thoughts on air filters. Congrats on an
excellant web site.

        Frank