RE: 99 Dakota R/T

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Thu Jul 23 1998 - 14:27:10 EDT

At 12:52 AM 7/23/98 , you wrote:

>If it weren't for the
>government pressure, I'd bet that manufacturers would be doing the
>same thing they did in the 50's and 60's; making their engines
>bigger and more powerful.

Are we talking about the same 50's and 60's when gas prices were only 1/4th
of what they are now and nobody cared what kind of sucky gas mileage they
got? Government regulations played some part to be sure, but the energy
crisis and skyrocketing gas prices were the major reasons consumers started
demanding smaller, more efficient motors.

FWIW, Jon, I understand the frustrations you express and I don't disagree
with you about that. I just think that you're trying to place too much of
the blame on the EPA and gov't regs when there are other factors that play
as much if not more of a role.

Mike (112 in the shade today) Crumley

--
Mike Crumley  mcrumley@airmail.net