Re: 160 vs 180 stat

From: bcudaSS (cutem@enteract.com)
Date: Thu Jul 23 1998 - 14:18:43 EDT

Listers,

I friend of mine who is on the GC list responed with this..

Tim

>Been talkin to alot of mechanics and the consensus is that with these
newer engines, dont go below 180. Everyone pretty much said that these
engines are designed to run hotter. Running too cold can cause excessive
carbon build-up especially on the intake valves. Even though the 160 may
seem to run better, its not good for a daily driver.

I'm not sure I agree. I'd say if performance is the goal, then definitely
go with the 160. Remember that actual engine temps will be nominally 10 to
15 degrees higher than the thermostat rating, as it takes 10 to 15 degrees
more before it fully opens. If winter driving in the north country then
maybe the 180 would be better, but that is only 15 degrees less than
stock,
not much of a change.

IMHO carbon build-up is not much of a problem if you use good high
detergent name brand gasoline. A can of Techron or other FI cleaner every
so often or even some water or top engine cleaner poured through the
throttle body (with the engine running at a high idle of course) would
instantly remove any minor carbon build-up, which can happen in any engine
no matter how hot or cold it runs.

I'm putting a 160 'stat in mine, I had a 180 in my previous 5.2L GC, and
it
didn't make enough of a difference. Also I now have 15 degrees more spark
advance to contend with, more than the Dak 5.9 or any other 5.9L
application, and I don't want any detonation on 92 octane premium.