More Comment on K&N Filters

From: Tony Mastres (mastres@id.ucsb.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 23 1998 - 13:17:13 EDT

>SNIP<
>planes have an oil analysis performed every 25 hours or Oil change
>whichever occurs first, and I have performed the oil analysis on both
>trucks. With the
>oil saturated air filters, the oil has less contamination then with
>conventional paper elements. I suspect the tests that were posted
>earlier were flawed,
>possibly the elements were not sealed correctly in the air filter
>housing. Anyway, those are my thoughts on air filters.

Personally, I go along with the consensus that under normal driving it
really doesnt make a difference what type of filter you use (regarding
engine wear). My old truck, a 1988 Nissan has 230,000 miles on it and has
had maybe a dozen air filter changes in that time.
I always used the regular paper type (Fram). I realize that the K&N style
gives greater airflow and I dont know how much dirt and dust one runs into
when flying but if I were driving in primarily dusty or dirty conditions
I'd have a serious concern that along with that extra air comes more fine
particulate matter. Whether that small a particle will have a noticable
effect on engine wear I dont know but why take the chance. I suspect that
the frequency of ones oil changes plays a more prominent role in the life
of an engine than does that of the air filter. Just go ask the guy who does
the oil change every 1500 miles!!!!!!

Tony J. Mastres
Photographer
Photographic Services __