Oil color - Dino/Synth

From: Mike Burgess (ax778@lafn.org)
Date: Thu Jul 23 1998 - 23:48:35 EDT

Well, two things cause oil to turn brown,
Hi temps, on the bits that splash on the cyl walls, sort of
carbonize, from the heat, and
Blow-by that gets crud into the oil. None of those rings seal
really tight.
  The Synth oils have none of the carbonization from hi heat,
but they should pick up, and carry blow-by gasses and crud into
the filter. The better the filter, the less stays loaded in the
oil.
 As to a oil change when cold, I have heard NO, because the gunk
settles into the bottom of the oil pan, and stays there, while
the oil drains past it. When hot, and just run, the gunk is suspended
and flows out.
  I had a GM 2.8L HO V-6 (173ci) that I ran dino oil the first 10k miles
to break it in, then switched to Mobil 1 Synth. the rest of the
lifetime, till I sold it, wiht 240K mi on it. No internal work at all,
and passed
So Cal Smog inspections like a champ. At my 10K oil change intervals, it
was a med brown, not black, and nearly honey light. Consumed 1/2 qt
in about 8k miles, when I'd top it off.
  My hats off to the mobil 1.

--

"What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is."- Vice Pres. D. Quayle