Re: 99 Dakota R/T

From: Rader (rlr@rtp-bosch.com)
Date: Fri Jul 24 1998 - 08:57:56 EDT

Jon Steiger wrote:

> Unfortunately, [anti-car geeks seem] to gravitate toward
> beaurocracy and government, and these are the people making the
> laws we have to live with. (Case in point: "junker" laws that
> would force people to send their beautifully restored classics
> to the junkyard.)

  You are on-mark as far as the statist elements of society are concerned,
but let's remember that the distinction between Big Business and Big
Government are trumped up a lot more by pseudo-capitalists than exists
in reality.

  What I'm trying to say is that the automotive industries are only too
happy to encourage junker laws, in order to sell their modern, high-tech,
overpriced monstrosities. Not to mention the gross polluting companies
that support junker laws in order to procure LEGAL SANCTION to poison
the environment in the form of pollution credits. So if we want to point
fingers, remember to point them appropriately. Don't let multinational
corporations push you around any more than the Feds.

  Hot rodders and restorers are the original recyclers, and this junker
law stuff is nothing more than the large scale social machinery (both
gummint and corporate) ganging up on the little guy.

  Ron