RE: A/C, Not too cool

From: Chris Hindy (chindy@idirect.com)
Date: Fri Jul 24 1998 - 12:35:40 EDT

>I have a 98 CC with the 5.2l and the A/C is not very impressive. I hear
>mention of some of you lovin' your A/C, even in Texas with the 100+ heat
wave.
>Mine is hard to love in the high 80's. Do the 98's have wimpy air
>conditioners, or is mine an under achiever?
>I would like to do a quantatative test on the unit before I complain about
it to
>the dealer. Is there any other test besides measuring the discharge
temperature
>from the ducts? What should this temperature be on a healthy A/C?

Two things for ya Joe . . .

One: Since the manufacturerswere forced into using a non-CFC-type coolant
in the AC system (instead of R-12), the 'quality' of cold you get from
these systems is nowhere near the same, so keep that in mind when
considering your analysis.

Two: I just had my father-in-law's 98 Caravan in the shop for the same
complaint, and his was not working because the control wiring was BURNED
OUT!!!! Yes, that's right, burned out. Seems that there was a routing
problem, and the control wiring was rubbing against something, the
insulation was worn off and there was a short. So before anything, I'd
check to see if this was true with you too. The easiest way to tell (other
than opening the hood and looking, is to drive with the A/C on for a while,
and listen to the system. If you hear it surging and slacking, then the
wiring could be the culprit.

One other thing I just thought of . . . 96/97 Neons had a problem with
coolant contamination (water in the coolant) which would cause the
condensor to ice up while in use reducing the aount of cold air provided.
Don't know how to prove this, but perhaps someone else on the list does?

Hope this helps
-ch