Re: Maryland Inspection Question

From: Mike Catlin (Catlin@erols.com)
Date: Mon Jul 27 1998 - 13:34:46 EDT

> Wayne wrote:
> I am considering buying a house in Maryland. Can anyone tell me about MV
> Inspection there? Other than my Dakota, I have 2 other older cars that I
> would be concerned about. I was told you must leave the car with the state
> for a full day, oversize (anything non-factory) tires are out, exhaust mods,
> etc. Sounds like BS to me but since I wouldn't leave any of my rides with a
> state agency for a full day, and all my cars are modified, I figured I try to
> find out before I move there. Thanks for any help.
> Wayne

Wayne,
        I live in Maryland and as far as inspection here's what I've seen.
This is out of the vehicle emission inspection letter they send you.
"All gasoline powered vehicles from 1984 to present will be tested
on the dynamometer, a treadmill like device. Vehicles from 1977 to 1983
and vehicles over 10,000 lb.. will be tested using the tail pipe test".
Phone number for emission inspection (410) 760-0400.
        If your going to title a car here in Maryland you will need a
state inspection certificate. You can get one of these at just about
any gas station and a lot of auto repair shops. These inspections
check tires, brakes, windshields ect.. You don't have to leave you car
although you'll probably be waiting a couple of hours. As far as wide
tires ect I've never had a problem as long as the tires didn't stick
out past the wheel wells and the exhaust didn't leak. Maybe Pat Engram
another DMLer who also lives in Maryland and works at Firestone could
give you more accurate info if you need it. Anyway that been my
experience.

Mike Catlin