RE: Tires and wheels

From: Chris Hindy (chindy@idirect.com)
Date: Mon Aug 03 1998 - 05:50:32 EDT

>I was wondering if anyone could recomend a good kind
>that are good in rain and snow and also stick to the road good (for fast
>cornering and all). It is a two-wheel drive vehicle, so I won't be going on
>any surfaces besides roads. . . The 215mm Inslicta's are too narrow for me.

Me too. I have a 98 CC and tires are tops on my list.

But there are a number of choices. Obviously with the addition of 15x8 (or
x9?) rims and fender flares to compensate for the overhang you can run a
31x10.5 truck tire, since this is the optional tire size in the 'Tire and
Handling package.' On the 15x7's I think the best choice (although not
nescessarily the 'biggest' or 'widest') would be a 235/70R15. That'd give
a bit more tire on the road, as well as improved sidewall height without
sacrificing much in terms of mud and snow performance.

I think you could go as high as 255/70 if you can find a tire in that size,
but they're fairly rare and cost a pretty penny. Another option if you
want a wider tire still is a 265/60, but at this point you've not only
blown the budget, but destroyed your load handling. Realistically in a
truck scenario 70 is as wide as you want to go. Some people would say that
it's TOO wide.

I've been considering both a 235/70 and a 235/75. As far as brands go, I
like Goodyear, but they tend not to wear as well as I'd like. I had
Michelin on my Stratus and they wore well, but they tend to ride quite
hard. I'm thinking that their 'MX-V' line might be a good choice.

Several local folks have suggested looking at Dunlop, and I plan to do this
as soon as time permits.

I'd like to hear what you decide!

cheers
-ch