Tech Tip

From: Holloway,Frank T (Frank.T.Holloway@kp.org)
Date: Sun Aug 02 1998 - 23:19:47 EDT

Here is a tech tip that applies to some of the OBD controlled trucks
out there (1995 and older). If you connect your truck (computer) to a
diagnostic machine, under the advanced diagnostics section. There
is a way to actually alter the ignition timing curve to match fuel
quality.
The timing adjustment allows you to set your timing to the standard
ignition curve or retard it (across the whole curve) in -2 degree
increments
up to -10 degrees. All of the 94's and 95's I have looked at have this
feature. I need to say that I HAVE NOT looked at anything older than 94
but I would think that it would be there in the older trucks. This
feature
was implemented so that dealerships could alter timing when customers
complained of pinging. Whats interesting is that the trucks I have
looked
at out here in Calif., have had their ignition set at -2 or -4 degrees.
Guess
that says a lot about our fuel out here. If you have your truck in for
service,
and the dealership has a SHARP diagnostic man, and you are not having
ignition problems, and you ask nicely, the persion might check it for
you.
If it is set at anything other than 0, have him change it for you. If
you are
having pinging problems, have him back the timing off. Again this is not
something you need to rush out to a dealership and have checked (they
will charge and you may be OK). Additional timing with no pinging will
get you better gas milage and additional power. If anyone has a reason
take their 96 or newer truck in for service, ask if this feature is
still there
and see what Dodge is setting the timing at these days. I would be
interested.

        Frank