RE: RE: wanted 94-95 ram, & cams

From: Holloway,Frank T (Frank.T.Holloway@kp.org)
Date: Sun Aug 02 1998 - 16:15:41 EDT

Patrick & Eric,

Lots of thoughts here, one of the reasons that I initially said a Ram
was because of the shape the interior is in. Factory AM/FM/CD,
electric seats, SLT, etc, etc etc. I'd hate to throw it into the
dumpster.
Rims, tires, rotors, rearend (sure grip), everything (but the body) is
in good
shape. I also thought that it might be easier to come by a 94 or newer
Ram
and transplant everything, Even a theft recovery would be good. It will
take me
a couple of months to tear down the engine and build it the way I want
it.
Earlier you were talking about your cam selection and the specs on the
Comp.
cam you run.
I run a cam with 264/274 adv dur (210/220) that gets .512 lift with 1.6
rockers, and it's on a 112 deg lobe sep angle... Powerband seems to peak
right
at the stock 5200 rpm rev limiter, but a few more Rs wouldn't hurt (5500
shifts would be ideal).
The cam I generally use is a Crane product PN 694111, specs.
advertised duration (260/250), @ .050 lift (204/194), lift .429/.407
with a lobe sep.
angle of 112 deg. Powerband 1,200 through 4,800. I really like this
grind, idle is
excellent, and it works well with both the factory, Mopar Performance,
and aftermarket
controllers, also works well in both supercharged and non-supercharged
environments.
Also another thought, flow though the Magnum heads tends to fall off in
the lift range
greater than .400. I realize that there are gains to be had with greater
lifts, (greater
ramp angles etc., but I have had nothing but problems with the rocker
hold-down bolts
and sleds (broke two). On this 5.9 I just pulled out, I'm gonna try to
find a stud/rocker-arm/
guide plate conbination that will work with these heads. On the subject
of 98's and the
increase in HP and torque, exhaust has been changed and I am sure that
has contributed
to the increase. But look at the torque curve, has been raised by about
400 RPM. This
is generally the result of a cam change. I am not absolutely sure, but I
would almost bet
on it. Two additional thoughts, supercharging generally raises both the
torque and horsepower
peeks, on the above cam, 6 lbs boost, torque peak was up by 500 RPM. On
your truck,
if the controller is factory 94 or 95, It has a removable PROM and
Superchips can remove
the rev and top speed limitors for you. DON'T take it too high......

        Frank