RE: Brake Tip

From: Holloway,Frank T (Frank.T.Holloway@kp.org)
Date: Sat Aug 01 1998 - 01:00:37 EDT

Gary & Bob,

Rear disc brakes, I have been playing with the idea for some time. Two
things
have been holding me back. Whether or not an after market company would
release
a kit or Dodge would release them on the 99's. Ford and Chevy trucks for
99 have
discs all the way around. If the 99 Dodge trucks were equpped, the parts
could be
applied to earlier models (cost might be prohibitive). Only time will
tell. I have talked
a company called Stainless Steel Brake and they tell me that they are
working on a
kit for the Ram (9.25 rear end) and should be available in early
September, no price
info yet. I'm sure the SS brake kit could be applied to the RT rearend.
I have also talked
to Wilwood, and they have a Rear Pro Street Kit w/parking brake for the
Mopar, most
likely some fabrication work would be required. One thing is for
certain, I will have rear disc
brakes on my truck. Proportioning should not be a problem, I can always
use an adjustable
proportioning valve, and as a safety net, I do have ABS. The benefits
are tremendous, (try
towing a 6,000 lb boat and make a sudden stop) it just doesn't happen.
And then there is
the ease of checking the brakes for wear and changing the pads as
compared to changing
shoes. I will have them, it's only a matter of time.....

        Frank