Re: Brake Tip

From: Bob Mankin (bob@cadpros.com)
Date: Fri Jul 31 1998 - 20:10:46 EDT

Holloway,Frank T wrote:

> One of the nicest items to hit the brake market are the new "carbon
> fiber" street disk pads. I have used these and it has almost become
> religion. I use them on every vehicle I put brakes on. I purchase mine
> from a brake parts house here in Calif. called "One Stop Brake Shop".
> The pads are manufactured by a company called "AUTOQUIPT" although
> many manufactures are making them. These pads offer excellant fade
> resistance. Cold stopping is excellent, and pad life has gone up
> by approx. 50%. The pads seem to transfer more of the heat to the rotor
> than to the calipers themselves (the rotor actually changes color from
> a dark straw to a straw blue color) but rotor wear is a lot less. Most
> of the
> time I don't even "turn" the rotors unless I have a reason to (out of
> true, etc).
> These pads are actually about the same cost as standard organic or
> semi-metallic pads. Just a tip, check them out.

Frank,

Thanks for the great tip!

I'll be chasing down a set shortly. That's one of my few dislikes about
my truck, it doesn't have nearly enough brakes. Going from my Typhoon to
this thing was a big switch in that dept. and more than once I've gotten
on the binders expecting the performance I was used to with the Ty, only
to discover that it just won't stop that quick<g>.

I'd love to find a reasonably priced rear disk kit to go along with.

Bob