Re: RE: DML Global warming, environmentalism, etc.

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Fri Jul 31 1998 - 13:29:36 EDT

At 07:26 AM 7/31/98 , you wrote:

>I am all for "saving the environment", but many things that come from
>Washington just don't make sense.

No argument from me about that :)

> Let's take automobiles. Car & Driver a
>couple of years ago wrote an article that said that at least a third of all
>car pollution came from cars which were gross polluters. This means that
>these cars were running so badly, or had an engine worn so bad, that they
>polluted obscenely. Does the government try to get these cars fixed or off
>the road? NO! They keep passing more and more stringent pollution controls
>on new cars so that the "average" amount of pollution in the air is less!
>Why not fix the pollution at its source?

I agree, let's fix the problem at the source. But since these "gross
polluters" are, for the most part, in the hands of individuals, there is
very little the federal govt can do. These things are traditionally (some
would argue constitutionally) handled at the state or local level. But when
an attempt is made to do something about it on that level, you get a
roadblock of opposition. Everything form "Big brother is watching" to "The
sky is falling, they want total control of our cars". Local authorities,
ever mindful of the next election, back down in the face of this opposition
and nothing winds up getting done. The problem is not Washington/"the
government", the problem is us. It's one thing to give lip service to
environmentalism. It's a whole other story when it comes time to actually
do something about it.

--
I can please only one person per day.
Today is not your day.