RE: RE: Cams

From: Holloway,Frank T (Frank.T.Holloway@KP.ORG)
Date: Mon Aug 03 1998 - 19:54:13 EDT

Colin,

Your probably not going to like my response but here goes. Cam "lope"
is pretty much a hold-over from our carburated days and is caused by
fuel and air reversion in the intake manifold. The fuel/air charge
actually
becomes unbalanced (sometimes rich, sometimes lean) and is a direct
result of overlap of the valves, both being open. Todays engines
generally
have a power band width of 4,000 RPM. We use overlap to push the
power band up the RPM scale to achieve more power. A given here would
be that the intake, exhaust, and fuel delivery are capable of
delivering. In
the Magnum engines, you really need to do a lot of work to increase the
top end breathing (port work, intake work, or supercharging). The best
approach to cam selection is calculations including weight of the
vehicle,
gearing, breathing capabilities of the intake, exhaust flow, and use.
Another factor we need to take into account is engine controller. The
givens surrounding the 318, and 360, we really don't want to take them
much above 5,500, (stock, lifter problems), the intake (tuned for lower
RPM's). Picking a cam with a power band above this would be a waste.
In regards to the computer, at an idle (operating temperature), the
computer
IS looking at the O2 sensor, and really goes nuts trying to adjust to
the
reversion problems caused by high overlap. You will never get a fuel
injected engine (that looks at the O2 sensor at idle), to sound as sweet
as a carburated engine with the same cam (they tend to sound raspy,
and in desperate need of a tune-up). In regards to the Crane cam
PN 704111, the powerband starts at approx. 1,200 and runs up to
about 4,800, top end breathing in the intake manifold, intake and
exhaust ports tends to be the limiting factor. It works very well
as a daily driver in the 318 non-supercharged. If you have a 360, or
your goal is 1/4 mile and your willing to shift around 5,000, I would
probably step up to the Crane PN 704121, powerband 1,400 - 5100.
Now to answer your question, both cams do have a nice smooth idle.
I am probably going to catch a lot of flack from this post, just my
opinion.

        Frank