Re: Exhaust question

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Tue Aug 04 1998 - 18:26:47 EDT

   Here's some fanciful ideas on how I might try and satisfy emissions laws
(if my state allowed) and still keep the evil dual exhaust:

>The problem is that it also makes it very unlikely that one would pass an
>emmisions test at that point , as well as voiding the warranty .

   Hmmm, couldn't you just make a single pipe that joined the two and take it
in for emissions testing? Unbolt the thing after the testing is complete?

>Ever see how many o2 sensors your Dak has ?

   Actually, no. But if the O2 sensors are an analog sensor, they would need
to be either resistive or capacitive sensors. In either case, you should be
able to daisy chain a "pair" together from each of the different exhaust runs
and get the same signal ratio back to the Engine Computer.
   If they are digital sensors I think they'd need to have a mini-computer
attached to them to handle the translation from analog O2 rushing by into a
digital format. At this point you should just be able to reprogram them for a
different flow rate, or get different sensors.

>It can be done , but I would think if you are in an area that has stringent
>emmisions laws that you would be screwed .

   Living in California, *I* wouldn't even try this on a street truck (You
can't do anything out here). But if I was a track monster, I might try and
rig up a quick disconnect system (maybe cotter pin nuts on the header plates
or something) for a set of "track pipes" and a set of "street pipes" (I'm not
a racer, so I don't know the rules; please pardon any ignorance if that
violates any track rules). Given the "JBA: Jet Blower Accessory" post, I
might even try to dump the exhaust directly downward in front of my rear tires
("Built in blowers]") : again *IF* I was a track monster. ^_^

Shaun
Tustin, CA