RE: Exhaust question

From: Holloway,Frank T (Frank.T.Holloway@KP.ORG)
Date: Tue Aug 04 1998 - 18:58:57 EDT

Shaun,
Below is a description of how a O2 sensor works, placement
(temperature), is critical.

The Challenge.

  The level of pollutants in exhaust gas must be reduced. While
open-loop control systems for ignition and fuel management can improve
exhaust emissions,
    further reduction in emissions is only possible by using catalytic
converters. These converters operate efficiently only if unleaded
gasoline is used and if
                                             combustion is as complete
as possible.

 How It Works.

   The oxygen sensor is a measuring probe for determining the oxygen
content of the exhaust gas. Since the amount of oxygen in the exhaust
gas indicates
  precisely how complete the combustion of the air-fuel mixture in the
cylinders is, it is also the best starting point for controlling the.
air-fuel ratio. The oxygen
  sensor is strategically located into the exhaust system. The outside
surface of the ceramic measuring tube protrudes into the exhaust gas
flow, and the inner
  surface is in contact with the outside air. A voltage is generated at
the interface which is proportional to the relationship between the
residual oxygen in the
 exhaust gas and that of the surrounding air: When this relationship
changes, so does the voltage. This voltage is processed by an electronic
control unit (ECU)
  into a control signal for influencing the air-fuel mixture through
controllable fuel injection or carburetor systems. The exhaust gas
composition is thus always
                       maintained at that level which permits effective
after-treatment by the vehicle's catalytic converter.

Design Features.

    The ceramic sensor body is contained in a housing which protects it
against mechanical effects and facilitates mounting. The ceramic body is
made of
 Zirconium dioxide. Its surfaces are provided with electrodes made of a
gas-permeable platinum layer. In addition, a porous ceramic coating has
been applied
 to the side exposed to the exhaust gas. This coating prevents
contamination of the electrode surface by combustion residue in the
exhaust gas stream for longer
                                                       service life.

The Advantages.

   Feedback from the oxygen sensor provides closed-loop control of the
injected quantity of fuel for optimum air-fuel mixture. . . enabling
virtually complete
 combustion to take place. By providing closed-loop control of the
mixture, it becomes possible to use three-way catalytic converters to
achieve the maximum
                       reduction in exhaust gas emissions. In addition,
the engine runs smoother and is more fuel efficient.