97 vs 98 throttle body (DML#1042, 07/21)

From: RAS002@worldnet.att.net
Date: Thu Aug 06 1998 - 11:05:48 EDT

>Spurred on my Meldrums page of TB pix and work , I am thinking of going to
>the bone yard to (try) to find a TB.
>
>WILL a 97 TB fit my 98 5.2. Should be the same, right ? If I strike out,
>how much will a new TB set me back.
>
>Hoping for more H.P......
>
>Joe

  Hello DAKsters

  Sorry about the late reply - I've been on vacation. If you haven't
got an answer yet, it will fit with minor mods (I'm assuming the one I
bought was a '97 as the bone yard told me that it was).

1. You must drill/tap/install a throttle "stud" in place of the hole
(apparently, the cable is different) that the '97 has. I just eyeballed
it and used a 10-32 throttle stud from the Dorman box @ NAPA.

2. You must trim the throttle cable guide (the plastic part on the
throttle shaft). I had to cut off about 75% of it.

3. All of the '98 sensors will be required, as the '97 uses different
plugs (the plugs look the same, but the wire connectors are different).

4. Everything else fits fine.

                Later,

                        Russ Selkirk

--