flex fans

From: Charlie Alley (charl1@SWBell.net)
Date: Fri Aug 07 1998 - 02:19:15 EDT

Here's my two cents on the pros and cons of flex fans. I have used them
on many cars over the years. You will notice most flex fans have a
greater pitch than stock fans so they move more air at idle and low
speed. Most flatten out at higher RPM to reduce drag on the engine.
Since flex fans are direct driven (no clutch) If the water pump is
turning so is the fan unlike slipping fan clutches. They also have no
moving parts to seize up and lock the clutch, so you always get the
flex. you don't have to worry about electrical connections and burned up
motors like with an elec. fan.
    But you never get anything for nothing. Flex fans are louder but
usually not offensive. spend the extra money for a good one. I have seen
some cheap ones come apart, not pretty.
    Do some research, get a good one, and you should be pleased with it
as I am.

Charlie